Wednesday 29 July 2015

Making Poverty Personal

Devotions

So here is a devotion I did earlier in the year, that I have been thinking on recently. I want to share it with you, but here is an idea, if you can, re-read this with another, or in a group of three or more, and discuss the questions, because I certainly found it interesting how we all have different views of poverty and those in poverty, and its the act of seeing that even those we would see as being in our own social circle, or what not, have different views, that helps open our eyes to our own view on poverty, and a wider look at societies view on it.

This was written and lead by myself before going to Florida City with a group of different ages, to go help build a playground with the Branches community. Although it is based around poverty in America, it is also very applicable to Northern Ireland poverty, as I will discuss in a later post, that I'm trying to lead to. Basically I am pulling from my previous work, so one, you can see what I have been doing, but two, lead you in my thought process, so I can share with you what I have learnt, and you can see and understand how I got to that point.


Florida City Memorial Day Weekend Training

Making Poverty Personal

Take a look at this first!


Scripture: Matthew 25:34-40
34 “Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who will receive good things from my Father. Inherit the kingdom that was prepared for you before the world began. 35 I was hungry and you gave me food to eat. I was thirsty and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger and you welcomed me. 36 I was naked and you gave me clothes to wear. I was sick and you took care of me. I was in prison and you visited me.’
37 “Then those who are righteous will reply to him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you a drink? 38 When did we see you as a stranger and welcome you, or naked and give you clothes to wear?39 When did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’
40 “Then the king will reply to them, ‘I assure you that when you have done it for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you have done it for me.’

Mini-Message
What is it that comes to your mind when the term Global Poverty is used? Africa, poor, Less economically developed countries? What about when the term Local Poverty is used? Benefits, Handouts, minority communities?
Let’s quickly debunk some basic misconception’s, though I am sure you all already know this all.
1.    The US poverty level was as of 2014, 14.3%, that means of the people on that will be going on this trip, statistically 5 would be in poverty. (NB we had somewhere between 35-40 people on this experience)
2.    Poverty does not just occur in pocket communities, within nearly every neighbourhood there will be people facing issues that make it hard for them to keep their heads above water.
3.    The majority in poverty are not there due to “lack of effort”, generational poverty exists massively here.
4.    Those in poverty are not just looking for handouts.
So I want you to think about these four points, and in knowing that think to yourselves, what is my mission as an ambassador of Christ?

We are called in the passage I read, to help everyone, where we see need we are called to help. So we need our eyes to be wide open to the need around us, and a lot of the time it is not going to be fully evident, and others it will be, but we need to be able to see those in need and know that no matter the situation we are called to help.

I want you in small groups of four or five to answer on these four questions. (You can do this alone at home…)

1.    What do you view as poverty?
2.    What are some areas of poverty, that people even in your community may be facing?
3.    What are some judgments I am quick to pass on people who need help, that I should try to drop here?
4.    How will you help support each other as a team (or support those you live or work with), to stop quick judgments, and to help do what this passage was talking about?

Here is one more question for you all to take away with you.
What am I going to look out for this week, to try help me identify those in need, And to help stop myself passing judgment on others?

Prayer

God we thank you for the time we got to spend together this eve, preparing to work with our brothers and sisters in Florida City, and we hope that you can bestow onto us the ability to see the world through your eyes, that we may see those who need help, and that you also help strengthen us to fulfil what you have asked of us.
We bring all our worries, and our judgments, that we may have, and we lay them in your arms, knowing you are the great provider, and sustainer. That with you we do not need to worry.
Let us go back to our weeks, full of your spirit, ready to help build your kingdom here, and everywhere we go.
In your Sons holy name we pray.

Amen

That is the end of the devotion, but I did find this video that I thought was interesting, from a UK stance on the public's view on Poverty



Peace,

Owain Campton

No comments:

Post a Comment