Monday 27 July 2015

A Letter Home

Before the letter I will give a little information. This was written and sent on June 22nd, of this year. Many from my home church will have already read it, but it contains a snippet of what I have been up to between my last update blog and now.

Hello,
                Is it me you’re looking for? Okay maybe now isn’t the time for Lionel Richie lyrics.
So let me start this letter by apologising for my disappearance from my blog and lack of communication with back home. It has been about three months since my last blog post, and honestly I have been neglecting the importance of letting “Y’all” (yup still using American colloquialisms) know how I am doing.

So I am coming into my final month of working at St. Luke’s UMC and very hesitant about the fact I am having to leave so soon, don’t get me wrong I want to see you all back home, but I have made many connections, and friends here, that I really wish I could somehow bring home and here together.

So what have you missed, well my supervisor in youth ministry has moved on to take a congregation of his own, as he becomes an associate pastor at another church. This has led to two new youth directors coming on, a Gent called Zac, has become the new director of middle school ministries, (the equivalent of p7 through third year). He is, of course completely mad, as you have to be, to work with middle schoolers. Though I would say he is truly excellent, and I am excited to see how the St. Luke’s Middle School Youth develops in the future. A Lady named Caryn, has taken over the High school and young adult ministries, and with her being a member of the church already, I could think of nobody whom would be more ideal for the role.

In missions the mission experience I had been working on since January came together, and we ( a group of about 40 people, of all ages), travelled down to Florida City and worked with the community to build a playground down at Branches UMC. This was over memorial day weekend, and took a lot of energy as we moved tons upon tons of mulch to lay down a protective layer around all the equipment. It was tiring, but immensely fun. I also got to lead a worship group consisting of two St. Luke’s youth, Pedro, and a few Branches musicians, in the Sunday morning service. In the past few weeks I have had more and more time to lead the St. Luke’s Youth worship, and has given me great pleasure in using my music to help guide the youth in their faith journeys.

I have also been continuing my work with the missions council,  in which they try to define the missions criteria, based around St. Luke’s 4D vision. This also has involved looking at their Belfast mission partnerships, and seeing how we change, without losing our partnerships, so that they fit with our vision. So I have enjoyed the chance to help with that home connection, and hopefully over the next month will help set some more things in place to make a difference, both back home, and here.

I went on an excellent retreat to Atlanta with the YAMMERs which involved going to the MLK centre, which was a very moving and powerful exhibition, that all should see if they can. I also went to the CDC (centre for disease control) museum, which was also fascinating to see how our understanding of diseases has changed over the years, from cancer to HIV, right through to Smallpox.

I finish work at St. Luke’s on the 31st of July, and will be returning home the 15th of August. I ask for prayers for my friend and pastor Jenn, still, as she has just had her final surgery, in this battle against what she refers to as “Stupid” (Cancer). Please keep her family in your prayers as well, that they maintain their strength as well. Asking for prayers for the other Co-lead pastor, Bill Barnes, as he ends his time in ordained ministry and moves on to other things. Finally please pray for me, that as I try to follow God’s path for me, and leave this place, for the next in my life journey, that I don’t find it to difficult.

I continue my prayers for South Belfast Methodist, and Belfast as we move into the season of parades and bonfires, that peace will prevail through the time.

Peace,
Owain Campton

No comments:

Post a Comment