Monday 17 November 2014

Week Five, Run Through!

So the past two weeks I have been neglecting my blog. I have also been forgetting to take photos. so this week is going to be a lot of words, with little colour, I am sorry, I hope next week will be more exciting.

 To be honest the majority of the weeks were just work as normal, nothing to spectacular at all so in this blog I am going to just run through what I did in brief, and then I will expand on some of the interesting, or new things I have started on.
So Wednesday the 29th was business as usual. I worked with children ministries, then youth ministries, and it all very uneventful. That night however, Three college students, Pedro, and Andrew (youth director), and I, went to universal studios, to go to Halloween Horror Nights. Basically Americans take Halloween to a level I have never really experienced. In the park there where entertainers dressed in scary attire, all from films, like The Purge. There were also scare houses, which you would queue up to walk through a house filled with strobe lighting, dry ice fog, and entertainers dressed and acting to try make you jump out of your skin. I honestly would have found it relatively terrifying, if it weren't for the fact one of the college students (Francesca) was so freaked out, it was comical. She actually put herself in a head lock with her head buried deep into Andrews stomach, as to not see anything. Most amusing. We unfortunately only got through two houses, as we were given false information on opening hours, but despite that I had a great time.

The next day (Thursday the 30th) I had missions staff meeting first thing, followed by a meeting with Marian Megistie, who is currently overseeing Global Missions. We discussed a project she wanted me to help with. She wanted me to research University of South Florida's Public Health department, to get contact details for faculty in the different sections of the department. This is because we are needing to change the mission direction in Jamaica, due to suggestion by the Jamaican Government. Recently Jamaica has had to take on a loan from the world bank, and this was followed by terms that they'd raise taxes everywhere, including now taxing missionaries. So we have been working with them to find a way of striking a deal to reduce the amount the missionaries are taxed.
So that day I spent researching USF Public Health.

Friday 31st, I was meant to be off, but instead I came in to help with the final day at the pumpkin patch, then skyped home, and went to the UCF Wesley Halloween party.

Saturday the 1st of November, I spent the morning at a farmers market, in Winter Park, followed by lunch with Sarah, and a couple of her friends. The afternoon however, I travelled to East Winter Garden, to help with the running of a Dreams for our Community meeting. East winter is essentially a working class community, which is highly under developed in areas. I found it great listening to all the hopes the residents had, and just hearing their stories. It was a great to be able to compare and contrast the differences and look at similarities between some of the communities back home and EWG.
After East Winter Garden the St Luke's Interns went to Amy Winslow's house, as they were having a scary movie marathon, with food. you will find that typically, if there is food, the interns will be there.

Sunday was normal, we had Sunday morning bible school, then worship, followed by planing for youth that night. At YF we used the youth to clear the pumpkin patch of the remaining pumpkins.

On Monday the 3rd, I was off. However Jenn Stiles-Williams, was in surgery, so Sam, and I went to the Stiles-Williams residence with brownies. We chilled there for two and a half Harry Potter films (That is an official measurement of time). I also got to do some quantum mechanics, which was refreshing.

On Tuesday the 4th, we had the usual staff meeting, where we are all studying Andy Stanley's How to Be Rich, which I highly recommend to anyone reading this, it raises many great points on how we look at our finances, and how we look at our giving, and how we look at our priorities of what in life is truly important.

Forty-Four games that I thought would end up with a child in hospital, but somehow didn't...

#5                Ultimate Rock, Paper, Scissors
Okay this wasn't that dangerous, at all, but still was a great youth game, which this segment is really about. Everyone starts of playing a game of R,P,S against an opponent, who ever looses ha to follow the victor around, and then you repeat, between victors, who ever then looses has to follow the new victor, with their entire team, until there is one victor, who hasn't lost a single game, and has everyone following them. 
I guess if you want to make it more ultimate, you could get them playing with real rock paper and scissors.... I am joking, don't do that....

And this concludes my late fifth week. Week six will follow soon. along with my prayer concerns.

Peace,
Owain

No comments:

Post a Comment