Thursday 2 October 2014

Week Zero: Bags, Borders, and Beginnings.


34,819,200 in seconds, 580,320 in minutes, 9,672 in hours, or 403 in days. This is how long this trip has been in the making.  In August 2013 I started my networking with friends from St. Luke’s, fishing for the smallest of placements, willing to live anywhere, with anyone, and work in any area of volunteering. Little did I know that I would end up in this wonderful position, with so many opportunities!

Following my first few emails with Lynette, my boss, it was clear there where definitely opportunities for me to work over in Orlando, in mostly youth and children ministries , which I was very excited about, as these were the areas I was most interested in. So she confirmed that I would be working over there, and that we would start planning how I would get over, and how I would live there, and all the little things. So I filled out their intern application form, so they had all my details and my interests.

So moving on to November 2013, Lynette and a group of missionaries, came over to look around a number of their mission partners in Belfast. In their group they had two teenagers, Grace and Reed, and as a part of a, let’s say test, I had to arrange a few activities for them, so they didn’t have to do all the boring adult meetings. So I arranged for a tour round Sullivan (my school), and arranged for them to go to my old youth fellowship on a Sunday night, which recently had received some money from St. Luke’s. So they (seemed) to have a good time, I also took them to Carrickfurgus Castle, along with Jen, Graces mother, as they wanted to see a real life castle. Over all Lynette seemed happy with my work, and we continued to plan for my arrival.

In March 2014, I got my B1 visa, and booked my ticket from home to Orlando, flying Dublin, Manchester, then to Orlando.  By that point however I had to start really focusing on school work for my A2 exams, but Lynette kept working on, finding out who I could work with, and if there where any of other areas of mission I could explore over here.

So summer 2014 finally arrived and my exams were over, so I started planning again. I met up with Britt Gilmore, a past member of St. Luke’s turned Methodist minister in east Belfast mission. He and his kind family, had dinner with me, and started preparing me for the cultural differences between Home and America, from little things like where to eat, to explaining the separation of Church and State.  Britt’s two girls informed me that the one restraint I had to go to was Chic-Fil-a, which I tried the first lunch time I was at work, (and boy was the portion cheap, and huge).

Finally august came and I got my results, which confirmed I would be going to Glasgow University for physics with astrophysics, come September 2015. This meant that I didn’t have to worry about reapplying for other courses, between the results and leaving. So I started preparing for physically leaving. 

I made sure I had all my paper work and tickets, and passport, all in a single folder. I also had my parents Silver Anniversary to help with as well (which went off well). So by the time the celebrations were all over, I only had a week to go.

I sorted all my clothes, and my two suitcases, and decided what I was going to keep for university, and what I was going to bin.

The big day finally arrived, we drove down to Dublin airport and my family saw me into the airport, not a hundred present sure if that was in fact due to deep family support and love, or to make sure I actually was leaving the country. My flight from Dublin to Manchester was smooth enough, I enjoyed the flavours of my last Guinness till next summer, and I arrived save on the other side, to be brought home to English Scottish family, for a lovely home cooked dinner and a bed for the night before needing to be at the airport again at 9 am.

The Flight from Manchester to Orlando was a long one, I was sat next to two relatively large gentlemen (as in needed two fully extended seatbelts large), but apart from having to lean to one side the whole flight, it was relatively comfortable. Virgin served all complimentary drinks and food for the entire flight and there was a personal entertainment system for everyone, all with plenty of films to choose from that I hadn’t seen yet. So four films and a big bang theory later, I arrived in Orlando.
Border control and customs was a pain! To start two flights from Manchester arrived at the same time, meaning there were approximately 1,200 passenger’s needing to pass through security. Then after nearly two hours in line I got to the front and the kiosk agent asked me a number of questions which ultimately ended in me being told my visa could only be used for 6 months at a time,  despite the Consulate in Belfast having never told me such a thing. After a nine hour flight and being up for 14 hours, and feeling hungry, I just went white. Explaining how this internship was till august 2015, and generally just kicking up a fuss, the agent eventually said “ well I can stamp this now, and you’d have to exit and re-enter the country in six months, or you can have a meeting with the senior supervisor of Border control here” with her stamp hovering above my visa, as if she thought I was going to fold. I asked for the meeting and I went and waited a room with other people who had evidently been refused entry or had been messed around with their visas to. I was called fairly quickly, and I presented my case to the supervisor. Thankfully he agreed to let me in till September 2015, due to proof of entry to university, and a ticket home. His words were “I don’t normally do this, but considering your work is non-profit and you are no threat to the people of America I will grant you an extension.” Well at least he realised I wasn’t a terrorist.

So eventually I got out of security and found Wendy, my friend, and taxi to my new Home in Orlando.

And that is where I am leaving it till next week!

Peace,
Owain


No comments:

Post a Comment