Friday 10 October 2014

Week One: Diving Right into the American Dream

So I got to my friend Wendy, who was bringing me from the airport to my new home. As some of you may know the weather in Orlando has been hot and very wet over the month of September, so as soon as I took my first step out of the air conditioned bliss that was the Airport, immediately I hit a wall of heat and moisture, it felt as if I was walking through a never ending steam room. So we got to the car, and the first order of business was to find me a drink, so we pulled in at Taco Bell (other fast food joints are available) and got me what I can only describe as a behemoth sized Mountain Dew.
Eventually after navigating the Orlando traffic I reached my new home sweet home.
I was greeted by three of my fellow interns, and new house-mates, Shakeria, Sarah, and Samantha, my room-mate, Pedro, was asleep in our room. To celebrate my long awaited arrival, they had left decorations up from Ruth's birthday, along with writing "welcome Owain" up on every surface they could clean it off, and they even spelt my name correct!
So that night they cooked dinner, however about half way through the oven stopped working, so that night we had half cooked chicken. It didn't kill me so hey, who cares.
So after a late night, I went to bed and awoke at around 8 (not bad for one with jet lag) then went to work for 11. St. Luke's UMC is about 25 minutes drive from our house, which isn't too bad. Once I arrived I was struck in shock by the size of the campus, it probably covers as much ground as my old school back home, it is MASSIVE! Pedro gave me a tour around all the buildings, and I was introduced to a lot of new friendly faces.
We had lunch at Chick-fil-a under instruction of the children of Britt Gilmore, which was nice, and cheap, comparison to home that is. So after lunch I was thrown straight into the biggest day in the St. Luke's week,
On a Wednesday St. Luke's holds and event called "Thrive", which has activities for those of all ages. At three o'clock, I started work with the Children's Ministries. Although I was tired, I felt it was right that I divide straight in, as there was no point waiting another week to see there main night. After my first session with the children (elementary school aged), and after teaching them the game Red River, and Splat.  I sat down at the communal dinner. It is a great idea where everyone who has come to thrive can sit down have fellowship with each other.
After dinner I had Youth Fellowship, which involved a small bible study in groups followed by a activities including art, cookery, music, and sport. I helped with the sport, which at the moment is ultimate Frisbee, but soon will be tag rugby (I plan on educating them on real sports)
The rest of the week was not nearly as busy, I had a few meetings with supervisors on what I will be doing, and was off on Friday.
Thursday night I did finally meet my YAMM supervisor Heidi, and it was a pleasure to meet someone who was full of energy for what they were doing, and full of care for those she is looking over.

Friday evening was my first real experience of american sport. I attended dinner and then the homecoming Dr Phillips game with the Stiles Williams, to see Grace as part of the homecoming court, representing "Colour Guard". It sure was an experience, with the court being shown off in open topped corvettes, in fancy formal dresses, all looking very dapper. The game itself was not extremely exhilarating, there were some good plays by both sides, but the "Pep" before and during the game was a completely new experience. It was impressive. A band in full uniform (in the Florida heat) played in the stands, along with colour guard dancing along beside them. Unfortunately torrential rain, caused us to leave the game during the third quarter.
The next day we went to Amy Winslow's for a post homecoming dinner, which included the interns being taken out on the Winslow family speed boat, at sunset. We all got dressed up for it, because I think we all really just wanted an excuse to get all fancy.
So the homecoming teens went off to the dance after dinner, and we then headed over to the Stiles-Williams, to the post dance party, which involved just dance, a giant inflatable twister game, and my first smores. For those who don't know what a smore is, it is a sweet cracker sandwich, with chocolate and roasted marshmallow. It was sickly sweet. Mind you so is a lot of stuff over here.
Sunday for me was spent at the contemporary worship, followed by a lovely lunch with Wendy and family, and then youth praise, and fellowship. During the fellowship there was a game played, which was made up by the in staff youth leader (and one of my bosses) Andrew. He named the game Epic Death... Put it this way it was like dodge-ball with more people and more balls, and I'm surprised nobody was injured... But all in all it was a good night and I look forward to spending more time with the youth.
Monday was spent with me trying to convince my House mate, that rugby is a better sport than american football, and her trying to do the opposite.
Tuesday was a day started by staff fellowship, which was a very emotional service, as Pastor Bill announced on behalf of Pastor Jen Stiles Williams, that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer, and that lead to another staff member announcing the same, The rest of the day was spent with me sorting out my St. Luke's UMC email, and meeting with Mariam Mengistie, director of missions development, and Bradley Roberts, executive director of Worship.

So that was my first week at St Luke's UMC, and it was brilliant, I am fully looking forward to the next 43.

I ask if you would pray for me to keep enthused in all that I am doing, and also please pray for my friends Jen, John, Grace, Caroline and Sam Stile Williams, as they come to terms and move forward through this cancer diagnoses.

Peace,
Owain.



No comments:

Post a Comment