Friday 31 October 2014

Week Four: Mosquitos, Zombie Ministry, and More Blooming Pumpkins…

So this week starts (Wednesday) with me and the assorted YAMMs still on retreat in Georgia, and with me waking up with 68 mosquito bites … (I won’t give details on where about they were)… So we pack up and leave Georgia, me in a very uncomfortable way, only for us to run out of Gas around ten miles out from Florida. So our mini-bus waited as a separate car of YAMMs went and sought out gas. Eventually we get back on the road, and head, via Jacksonville (to drop one of the houses of), and a Cracker Barrel (an amazingly weird restaurant and store), on to Orlando.
We all arrived home only for Pedro and I to immediately leave for the church for the second lot of pumpkin unloading.
This unloading was much the same as the previous, only we had a quarter of the people, to move the same number of pumpkins. So it took us a lot longer than previously. If that wasn’t bad enough, I managed to accidently drop two 10 kilogram pumpkins on one of my (many) supervisors, Laura Turner, possibly breaking a few toes, but we won’t ever know as she didn’t go get it checked. Then after it passing 8pm and there still being a fifth of a truck to unload, we decided to start throwing the pumpkins down the truck by rolling them down the truck. This lead to me firing one of the smaller pumpkins, up the truck, and hitting somebody in the jaw (accidently) possibly dislocating it, as they seemed to relocate it, causing them more pain. Who was this person I hit? Yes it was Laura Turner… Again… Whoops… Apart from that, we got the truck finished in a speedy time, so Pedro and I got home around ten, for me to apply some anti-itch cream (which turns out I am slightly allergic to, waking me up at 3am with legs burning).
So Thursday I was meant to be off, but because I was in such pain now, with the bites and the burning skin making me highly sensitive, decided to come into work to do some emails, and set up some meetings. It was a very non-day, nothing really happened, and to be honest after the madness of the previous day I was glad. Of course it was an important day back home, with my wee brother turning 14. So I skyped him and he got my card, and had already received my present earlier in the year.
The next day was a big day for someone on this side of the pond. Shakeria, my flatmate, turned 21. So that day, Sarah, Keria, and I did a bit of shopping during the day. Buying myself some new rags, and Keria a birthday cupcake, before heading to meet with Ruth at a house she was sitting, where we gathered before heading to City Walk, at Universal, where we went out dancing (because I am just such a good dancer…). That night we returned to Ruth’s house, to watch Netflix and sleep.
Saturday was a long day, after around five hours sleep, Keria, Samantha, and I, went to East Winter Garden, to attend the ground breaking service, for a Habitat for Humanity build. Keria took pictures of the ground breaking, and the other build down the road, while I just looked present and chatted to some of the leaders. We only stayed an hour, and then proceeded to Einstein’s to get a breakfast bagel.

The afternoon was spent with Keria, Ruth, and myself, in a seminar, called bridges out of poverty, which focused on ways we view poverty, and ways we should think about combating it. I found what was being taught very interesting, but some of the comments being made by some of the “pupils”, seemed a bit polarised, though I do believe everyone took away a lot of useful information. Then Keria, Sam and I, decided to do a bit of window browsing/retail therapy at mall of millennia.
Sunday was a mad mad day, which mostly focused around this weeks “Fourty-Four games that I thought would end up with a child in hospital, but somehow didn’t…” So because this was such a massive game, I am going to make a separate blog post specifically for this.  It is this area that represents the Zombie Ministries, part of the title.
Monday, although it was my day off, I agreed to help Andrew (Director of youth ministry) to collect a ping pong table, in the morning. This involved tying a large folded table, into the back of a very run down pick-up truck, using very questionable rope. Thankfully it did not fly out, or get us pulled over. The rest of the day was spent with me trying to get over the awful cold that I seemed to be developing, and obviously I didn’t try hard enough, as I still have it…
Tuesday, I came in with little work to do, and with a fever. We had our usual Tuesday morning staff meeting, where we started to talk over the book How to be Rich, which I will talk a bit more once I finish/start reading it… Then I had a lovely meeting with Miriam, in regards to research she wanted me to do, to help aid the next Jamaica mission trip.
So that was my week, I am sure I have forgotten some stuff, but hey when your week is as crazy and awesome as mine has been, how could you remember every part of it.
This coming week please continue to pray for my friend Jen Styles-Williams, as she under goes her first surgery, as long as everything goes to plan, on Monday. Prayers also for her family would be appreciated. If you could pray for Laura Turner as well, as this next week is a big one for her, as she goes off to pitch a script in California.
Peace,
Owain  




No comments:

Post a Comment