Saturday 21 February 2015

Week Eighteen (continued) through Twenty: "Owain, you've fallen behind in blogging again!" "Ah well, hashtag Y.O.L.O!"

Okay so yet again I have left this a while since my last blog, due to the sheer amount of work that that I have been helping (not hindering…. Usually) with, at St. Luke’s UMC. So I am going to do this in my normal style, for an “Owain-you-have-too-many-days-to-remember” catch up blog.

Children’s Ministry

So as you now I spent time over Christmas, researching and trying to find some curriculum, for the hour long period I have total control over the children on a Wednesday, I was happy with what I brought together for them, however you would be surprised how many Tuesday nights I spent looking at what I had planned, and thinking, “what the heck was I thinking?!”, and changing my plan.
Looking back at some of the things I did with them, there are definitely something’s I would change about how I would present it all. So here is:

Owain’s three point guide to not screwing up children’s ministry.
Do no,  I repeat do not, put out the paint, brushes, and paper in front of them before you explain what to do…. Or you will end up with something beautiful, but also useless for the lesson… this is pretty much the same for any craft activity.
Explain, in detail, to your volunteers what the activities are, and even if think you have, tell them once more just to make sure. This stops you having to answer their questions while explaining the task or activity to the children, which can be very distracting to kids, or seen as a chance to escape to the toys. Also, once you start explaining, don’t stop for questions till the end, because when a child raises there hand, this most certainly doesn’t indicate a question, it may actually be a five minute ramble on how they went to school without their hair being the way they wanted…

When you make a plan, most certainly be free to deviate, as with children, who knows what the heck is going to happen. (Number of times I stuck to the plan the whole way…. Somewhere between one and negative one) When you can't stick to the plan make sure you have small backups to slot in, to keep the children occupied as you try to find a way back to your plan. (Example: put on some kid friendly worship, as anyone under ten seems to have the ability, and loves to dance to anything…)

So there you have it. I will put in here, an example of one of the days we did that I felt went the best…
The Creed: God the Father
First I sat with and talked to them about the first two lines of the Apostles Creed, “I believe in God the father almighty, creator of heaven and earth.” Trying to get them to just appreciate how we believe in a being that created everything, and how mind blowing that is, from the oak leaf veins to the massive burning ball of gas, that we call the sun. I then showed a time lapse video that we had used in Sunday school for youth that previous week.

We then created a huge poster of the world, made up of blue bulletin board paper, and green craft card, cut by the children into different land mass shapes

Youth Ministry
I love every one of my youth, no matter how hyperactive some can be at times; they are all fantastic! It is a pleasure to be able to work with them. Over the past month we started new Monday night programming, called Plugged In, which I have been given as my programme to try grow, and run. It is good experience starting a programme from scratch, first week we had a grand total of….Five, which to some may be disheartening, and make you feel like giving up, but you always have to remember that a programme is not going to be an overnight success. Also being a new start and blank page, it does give Andrew and me the chance to be creative with what we do in it over the next months.
Wednesday nights I am still taking sport, and yes, I am still awful at basketball…
Sunday School has been really interesting over the past few weeks. With Andrew leading confirmation, I have been left to take what remains of the 7th and 8th Grade class. It is a great growth experience, I believe, for me. It lets me actually teach on the topics; yea that is scary, me teaching young impressionable minds, on our religion and faith. So far, however, I feel it has gone relatively well! Sunday evenings have been going well, we still play games that are all…. Carefully thought through, I think is the best way to describe them… Maybe…
We also have continue to volunteer with Wyldlife, an external middle school youth fellowship programme. They are amazing! The leads are so passionate, and caring towards their youth, it is something that a lot of youth fellowships could do with!

Forty-four games that I thought would end up with a child in hospital, but somehow didn’t….
Dang! We actually have a lot of weeks and games to get through…. Please note, not all these games are from St. Luke’s Youth, some are from Wyldlife.
#13 Scavenger hunt… round a major theme park and night club area, using Instagram! (Wyldlife)
                Take youth to a destination full of people, and different sights, have a list of objects, people wearing specific clothes, etc. and have them go round in groups (with leaders) to find them. When found the group must take a photo, be it a selfie or a regular photo, then post it to Instagram, with a specific hashtag! It did sound like so many things could go wrong, being out in the crowds, but it was brilliant, and was a great way to integrate technology into the game!

#14 Reindeer Vs Elves
Marshmallow gun plus capture the flag, at Christmas! You have a pitch with three thirds marked out,  a reindeer safe zone, a no man’s land, and an elf safe zone. Basically if you are shot, you must return to your safe zone. The goal being to… well its obvious… capture the other flag…

#15 Ant Raid!
Four points marked round a specific playing area. One person is the exterminator, pretending to have a can of Ant Raid, the rest are ants. The exterminator, runs around spraying ants with the raid! (okay so its tag) When an ant is caught, it lies on its back with legs and arms up in the air. Four ants can then drag the dead ant to one of the four previously marked points, for the dead ant to be revived, while doing so they are safe from the exterminator.


#16 Ninjas and Shaman
This is a weird, but awesome one. You need loads of foam pool noodles (you know, the floats) these are swords for the ninjas. You also need hula hoops, for the shaman. You have two teams, made up of many ninjas, and a few shamans each. After the whistle goes, ninjas from opposing teams run at each other, and sword fight. If hit in the arm, you put your arm behind your back, if hit in the leg, you hop. This goes on till you have no limbs, and are then dead. The shaman’s job is to hula hoop around, and heals injured ninjas, but they can’t revive dead ones. Winner is the team with remaining ninjas.

#18 Trade Up. (Wyldlife)
So get multiple teams of youth, and give them all a paper clip. They then get given a specific and unique route around a neighbourhood, each. The task is to trade the paper clip for something bigger or better, and then repeat till your set time limit is up. The winner is to the team with the biggest item, and the most useful item. The biggest for Wyldlife was a sheet of Plywood, which our team got at the first house in exchange for the paper clip… we couldn’t really go anywhere further with trading that…. The most useful was split between a Surf board, and a 52 inch telly. Yea….
To be honest I didn’t really expect a kid to get injured, mind you with Florida’s stand your ground law, lord knows what could have happened…

#19 Wizards, elves, Giants
                Wizards beat elves, elves beat giants, giants beat wizards. Two teams. Each choice has an action, which you can get creative with. Teams line up opposite each other in the middle of a hall. Shout 1,2,3 go. At which both teams reveal their action (which must be the same for each team member, if not those doing the wrong one, loose) the looser is chased by the winner, back to their wall. Whoever the winner catches joins their team. Rinse and repeat!

#20 Human Knot
                Everyone(max 12 people) gets into a tight circle, and then put their hands in the middle. Take your left hand, and grab someone’s right hand, whom is not beside you! Now they have to untangle themselves without letting go… I am surprised nobody ended up with a spiral facture or dislocated arm, with the way they tried untying themselves… And this was done with elementary school children!

Missions
Missions work has been great fun recently. Not that it never was, but it has been more so recently... Saved myself there….
I have been working closely with Miriam, in mission development and Global Missions, as you will remember. The main project I am working on at the moment is the Florida City Intergenerational  Mission Experience. Kelly Brinker, Miriam, and I have just recently got the applications complete, and sent out. We soon will be selecting the team, setting up training times, and going down to Florida City, to coordinate with our partners down there. The goal is to build a playground over Memorial Weekend.
I have also started work on researching a possible Intergenerational Mission Training Retreat, to prepare those who want to serve. One of the places we are looking at is the ECHO far, I talked about recently.
This week I hosted Family Promise, overnight at St. Luke's. As their website states: Family Promise of Greater Orlando (FPGO) is a nonprofit, interfaith hospitality network providing temporary assistance, hospitality, and case management for families with children experiencing homelessness. Family Promise provides these services through the participation of local congregations, dedicated staff, and hundreds of volunteers. 
It was great to get talking with the families, and hear all their plans, and what they did in their everyday lives.

Super Bowl

I watched the super bowl at Andrews… he is a mad patriots fan, so Pedro decided to support the Seahawks, because he doesn’t mind stirring things up at all…. So we watched the game at his, and I got to experience proper super bowl adverts! There were some very impressive ones!

Also with those last four game plays, meaning the game was in the balance till the end, made it a game I won’t soon forget. That and Andrew flipping out when Patriots intercepted in the line….


School System
So I have recently started helping some students, at our Monday programming and some others, with homework, and some tutoring.
Oh. My Goodness! I just cannot get my head around their system. These youth are under constant testing, and the AP students have large exams at the end of the year. Some start school before 7am, if they have a test they need to do, and end around 2pm. In the last year of school they could be doing up to eight subjects, sometimes more. Admittedly I haven’t come across a subject (even AP) which goes into as much depth as we do in our A-levels, but we are doing only four subjects, and other than coursework and practical’s, the only real thing that counts for our result is our end of year exams, which yes is horrendously stress full. Here though homework, and in the year tests, all count, and then you get told where you’re grade is at the end of each term…. The stress is constant. I honestly don’t understand how that can be seen as healthy, mind you I wouldn’t say that our home system is better. I have thought one thing… Thank dear goodness I managed to get through it all eventually!

Six Nations
I can confirm I have watched all the games! Wooo! However I will also confirm the games kind of sucked, except the Scotland Wales game, that was a good one. Come on Ireland for Sunday the first of march!
Their first rugby game... it sucked....

CQ
On Friday just past I took part in CQ, a seminar, workshop, whatever you want to call it on Cultural intelligence! I was interested to see where I ranked on the scale for CQ, and it suggested that my cultural background was, well all over the place. I have the collectivism mentality (focus on We rather than I) similar to those cultures in in Arab, Confucian and southern Asian, Latin American and sub-Saharan African. I am High Power Distance orientated, meaning I see boundaries and somewhat accept inequality levels, as in Arab, Latin American and southern Asian cultures.
I have a high uncertainty avoidance level, like Latin European and American cultures, meaning I avoid failure, and need rules. I am competitive like Anglo and Germanic European cultures, so need to excel and live to work. I am long term based; I need a long term plan, look at past successes to determine the likely hood of future success.
I am fairly high context based like Eastern European Latin American and European cultures, so I am indirect in communication at times, and don’t like upsetting harmony.
I am doing orientated, like Anglo and Germanic European cultures, so am goal orientated. I am time focused, and need a time frame, and a plan!
My home culture would come under the Anglo cluster culture, which includes the US, Canada, UK, Australia, New Zealand. However I do hate the term Anglo…
For the Actual CQ Profile, I was in the top 25% of the worldwide norm for each of CQ Drive, Knowledge, Strategy, and Action. This means I do have a good idea of Cultural differences, and know how to interact, though it did show me areas in which I could improve, like in my Socio-linguistic skills, or Extrinsic Interest in CQ, which is to see something in it for yourself, apparently I don’t look at things for my own gain a lot, which to be honest I am not too sure if this is true or not…
Despite this it was an excellent workshop, and if you are ever offered to do it, please take it!

Spare time
What free time… 
I am joking. kind of... Recently in my spare time I have been hanging with the college students, frequently with my friend Francesca, who I can honestly say I am lucky to have around, to keep me sane here at times!
I also have been to the cinema with Pedro on numerous occasions, once to American Sniper, then with youth to Selma, and with him to see Kingsmen.
They were all good films, though American Sniper made me feel very uneasy, especially when the audience cheered and clapped when the “bad guy” was shot dead from two miles away….
Selma was mighty powerful, and for someone who knows little about the American civil rights movement, has created an interest.
Kingsmen was hilarious for a twenty year old male….

Prayers, Praises and Concerns
The Stiles-Williams as they continue their journey, Grace as she continues through her Senior year.
Shakeria, just that whatever is going on in her life right now is positive; and the same for Francesca.
Pedro, just for his heart.
Sarah, my other roommate.
My family back home, that they stay safe, healthy, and mad as ever. That my father has a positive lent and Easter.
That St. Luke’s has a positive transition as Pastor Bill retires in the following months, and Pastor Jenn moves from co-lead, to lead pastor. That people, who may have fears in this change (as many do not like change at all), may be put to rest.
Pray for me to keep motivated, and energised!
Pray for Andrew, as for the reason below!


Andrew
So this month Andrew, Director of youth ministry, announced to the youth, that he was going for ordination into the United Methodist Church. This was a hard time for them.  I have known for a while now,  but before I was told, I could honestly say that he was made to be a pastor, his passion for youth, is only ought weighed, in my eyes, by one thing, his passion for teaching scripture and theology. I have learnt so much from him, it has been a pleasure working with him, and I know he will make an awesome minister! The church council voted to send him forward as a candidate for ordination, on Tuesday past.

Reflection
So this week I went to my first full Ash Wednesday, complete with the Imposition of Ashes, something which rarely done at home, as it is a Catholic tradition. Though it is a powerful service where I felt we look upon our own mortality. We are very fragile, and as is said “the only certainties in life are death and taxes.” Though as a certain nameless person (for their own protection….) said “yea but you can avoid taxes….” We come into this world, and from our first breath we have started our journey to death. There is a saying, that I do use totally ironically when people ask me questions I can’t really be bothered answering, and that saying is Y.O.L.O. You Only Live Once. An example “Owain why is my coat on the ground.” “Because, YOLO.” Or “Owain, why is my car totalled?!” “hashtag Y.O.L.O!” The thing is though, through Christ we don’t. We will die, but because of Christ we can be born again, so Y.O.L.O does not apply. Many young people use the phrase, to pass of behaviour that isn't really positive, off as banter, joking, a one off, but we should strive to live with Christ. Viktor Frankl once said "live as if you were living a second time, and as though you had acted wrongly the first time." We should really think about all our actions, be it what we say or do, be it towards someone, behind someone's back, our to our self, because we must love ourselves, others and God, we must aim to live for the next life.

This video is worth a watch, I found it as I was thinking on the Ashes service.

Peace,
Owain.


No comments:

Post a Comment